The Mat-Su Education Association (MSEA) was organized 50 years ago. We are proud to be the second largest NEA-Alaska local union in the State of Alaska. MSEA represents approximately 1200 certified employees in 44 different schools.
We, the educational professionals of the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, in order to promote the assured and continuing growth of a program for better education in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, dedicate ourselves to:
- Work for the welfare of school children, the advancement of education and the improvement of instructional opportunities for all.
- Develop and promote the adoption of such ethical practices, personnel policies and standards of preparation and participation as mark a profession.
- Unify and strengthen the teaching profession and secure and maintain the salaries, retirement, professional and sick leave and other working condition necessary to support teaching as a profession.
- Enable members to speak with a common voice on matters pertaining to the teaching profession and present their individual and common interests before the Mat-Su Borough School Board, Borough Assembly, other legal authorities and community.
To attain the mission, MSEA works in the five following areas:
- Advocacy – Employee rights and bargaining
- Education Excellence and Member Involvement (EEMI)
- Public Affairs – Communications, public relations and political action
- Health Care – Member and family health care
- Governance – Running the organization